Sunshine Family Cares guarantees our patients have access to the latest HIV prevention methods that meet our patient's needs.
PrEP stands for pre-exposure prophylaxis. It's a medicine that people who are at risk of getting HIV take to prevent getting HIV from sex or injection drug use. PrEP is highly effective when taken as prescribed. It can:
- Reduce the risk of getting HIV from sex by about 99%
- Reduce the risk of getting HIV from injection drug use by at least 74%
- Stop HIV from taking hold and spreading throughout your body
- Take at least seven days of daily use for anal sex to reach full effectiveness
- Take at least twenty days of daily use for vaginal sex to reach full effectiveness
There are two pills and an injectable approved for use as PrEP:
- Truvada® is for people at risk through sex or injection drug use.
- Descovy® is for people at risk through sex. Descovy is not for people assigned female at birth who are at risk for HIV through receptive vaginal sex.
- Cabotegravir (CAB) 600 mg (brand name Apretude®)
Please contact us for further information and discuss this option.